Monday, September 7, 2015

Puppy Ponderings

My MP3 player died last week.  I walk daily with Marvin and Lily (our rescue pups) and enjoy singing to the tunes as we go about the neighborhood.  Although I do have to remind myself that only I can here the music, so when I come across passers by I do lower the volume of my singing voice.  Carol King or Taylor Swift...I am not.  Although when you have a dog at your side you can get away with a lot (giggle).

Because I am MP3 player-free at the moment, it has left me time to ponder.  I have come to realize that our "puppies" remind me daily of those life lessons taught to me by my mom and dad as a child and their words of wisdom shared in my adulthood.  And I have challenged myself to work on some things that I may have let slip as of late.  Marvin and Lily have reminded me to take time to smell the fire hydrants or the garbage cans and don't be in such a hurry for the future to happen...don't wish your life away.  You only have one so you better make the best of it.  My job has been very challenging lately for many reasons and the fun factor is almost nonexistent.  I am so looking forward to retirement and being able to spend my time doing so many fun creative things.  So I feel that I have lost sight of living in the now and am somewhat wishing away some of the precious time that I will not get back.  So I am now challenging myself to look for those things in my job that are fun and focusing on them.  And to enjoy the free time that I do have to enjoy my creative life.  I have come to realize that the job I have is one that allows me to do the fun creative "stuff" so I need to look upon it in a more positive way as challenging as that can be. (This post will also remind me of that)

Technology and analytical methods in the environmental world are constantly changing and "new" compounds are being found that have adverse affects on human and ecosystem health (not a great thing, but at least we are working on correcting the issue). So my challenge is to focus on learning new "stuff" and bringing the fun factor back into work until retirement time is here.  I am relying on Marvin and Lily to remind me of that.

And speaking of my creative life, I have been quite productive this long Labor Day weekend and have completed "worry not" quilt #1.  It is a pattern called Dancing Nine Patch (designed by Bonnie K. Hunter - Quiltville.blogspot.com)



Machine quilting is a skill I am trying to improve upon ( and I think photography needs to be added to the list (LOL).



I'm really happy with the vine of leaves in the borders.  Scrappy quilts are my friend....they are great for learning new skills and hide many of my flaws until I have them better perfected.

Until we meet again.......



No comments:

Post a Comment