Sunday, October 2, 2016

Rainy days and Sundays

Rainy days and Sundays are such wonderful times to be stitching on a quilt, don't ya think?  This is what is on my lap this rainy Sunday....In this particular block the polka dot is the original fabric and I am hand appliqueing fabric over the original pieces.  I have to apply some more band aids to the white background pieces as well.


My son-in-law entrusted me with his wonderful family quilt.  It is a much loved quilt that needed a little tender loving care.  So I have a nice hot cup of coffee and my audio book ready to go while I spend this afternoon nursing this gem back to health.  I wonder what Grandma was pondering when she hand stitch this lovely together...



This was a very quilty weekend for me.  Yesterday I spent a lovely (again rainy) day with my mom and my quilting sister.  We took a wonderfully scenic trip to Bennington, VT., to see the Jane Stickle quilt at the Bennington Museum.  A must see trip for any "Janiac" and Bennington is such a quaint New England town.



It is in amazing condition especially when you realize that this quilt was made in 1863.  A most amazing scrap quilt.  Each block is made from a different fabric.  Jane must have had the most amazing collection of scraps.

Are you doing any slow stitching on this Slow stitching Sunday?




4 comments:

  1. Oh my... quilt restoration is a labour of love! So kind of you to tackle this project.
    I have a couple of quilts that need the same attention, but I find it really a whole other ballgame/skill set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful that your are lovingly restoring this quilt! I, too, wonder about the circumstances under which many quilts and afghans were made under! I was privileged to meet the daughter of the maker of a vintage quilt. It was wonderful to hear how both her parents worked on the quilt together. I loved watching her point our the various fabrics in the quilt - her brothers' shirts, the sisters' dresses...all of it was a wonderful experience. Oh! If only quilts could talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure Mark and Kelly are glad that the quilt is in the queue and that you feel wonderful about fulfilling the commitment to repair it. Perhaps your blog will be a way for those in the future to know what you were thinking when you were stitchin'

    ReplyDelete